Social Listening: What is it, and how can it be used to your advantage?
Today’s business owners are likely well aware that social media presence is vital to success. In fact, if a business isn’t active on at least one social media channel, potential clients and customers may actually see it as a red flag.
In an increasingly “social” world, the list of reasons to digitally showcase your brand is 😉 virtually 😉 neverending. It can include increasing awareness, staying top of mind, positioning yourself as a thought leader, and more. And while there’s undoubtedly a lot you can do on social media, there’s also a lot social media can do for you! Speaking of…have you heard of social listening?
What is social listening, and how is it done?
Social listening is the process of monitoring online conversations and interactions, typically on social media platforms, to gather insight into how target audiences and the general public perceive your brand and topics relevant to it.
This process is fairly simple but requires active participation by your marketing team or partner. A well-executed social listening strategy enables you to identify additional opportunities with your target audience. Common social listening tactics include the following:
- Monitoring Brand Mentions: Use social listening tools to track mentions of your brand, products or services on social media platforms.
- Keeping an Eye On Competitors: Observe your competitors’ social media activities, the content they post, and how their followers engage with them.
- Following Industry Keywords: Keep track of keywords and hashtags that are relevant to your industry and products/services.
- Engaging With Customers: Respond to customer inquiries, complaints and feedback on social media platforms. Regular and timely engagement will show your clientele you are actively listening and interested in their input.
- Watching Industry Trends: Follow the latest industry news, changes and emerging trends that could impact your business.
- Identifying Influencers: Find influencers in your industry or niche who can help promote your brand or products/services.
- Analyzing Sentiments: Determine whether the overall sentiment about your brand or products/services on social media platforms is positive, negative or neutral.
- Conducting Market Research: Use social listening data to conduct market research and gather insights into customer preferences, pain points, and behavior.
How can the findings be used?
If your business isn’t social listening, you’re missing out on a ton of valuable data. By monitoring these conversations, you can gauge your reputation and identify pain points, allowing you to hone in on areas for improvement.
Additionally, social listening gives businesses a direct line of communication to potential leads. If clients and/or customers have questions about a product or service, they can get an answer straight from the source.
If you’re looking for ways to gain a competitive edge in your industry, social listening is an essential tool to have in your toolbox. As a bonus, you’re also increasing loyalty and retention, building brand awareness and widening your reach while gathering this critical data.
Need help with social listening? TRIO is all ears!
Social listening is a foundational step in elevating your marketing efforts. If building a stronger marketing presence is a priority, our team can make it simple. Contact TRIO today to explore how our expert strategists can elevate your brand!
Now Trending: Twitter, X and Threads Updates You Need To Know
Have you felt a shift in cyberspace? Change is in the air. While social media has always been fluid, its rapid evolution has kicked into overdrive. World-famous […]
TRIO’s Step-By-Step Guide For Nonprofits: Google Ad Grants Campaign
Does your nonprofit’s presence need a boost? Google Ad Grants is specifically designed to support nonprofit organizations like yours. This program provides opportunities to earn up to […]