In case you missed it, this is the second in a three-part series so be sure to read part one first.
TRIO team members Taylor and Caroline have put together the best online fundraising practices after receiving their certificates in digital marketing and fundraising from Nonprofit Tech For Good founder and CEO, Heather Mansfield.
Online Fundraising Best Practices
Once your guests visit your website and walk through your virtual front door, you want them to stay and learn more. If your donation page isn’t complete or correct, potential donors might leave and go next door. Follow these four best practices to entertain your guests and keeping them involved.
- Ways to increase giving on your donation page:
- Removing links in the navigation header on your donation page results in a 195% increase in donations because users do not think about leaving the page.
- Including the general mission of an organization results in a 44% increase in donations.
- Adding trust marks near the donate button results in a 22% increase in donations (logo affiliations, GuideStar certified, etc.)
- Accept multiple types of payments (PayPal, eCheck, Apple Pay, credit card for recurring payments, etc.)
- Include a one-time AND monthly recurring donation option.
- For small and medium-sized nonprofits:
- Create an account on GreatNonprofits and ask your donors to review your organization.
- Enroll for review at Give.org.
- Update your GuideStar profile to earn a Seal of Transparency. Then add to your donation page.
- Create a compelling, action-oriented “Thank You for Your Donation” page and email that recommends other pages on your website like a blog post or an event/webinar.
- Include multiple ways of giving and donation options:
- Monthly, reoccurring
- Tribute/memorial program
- Matching gift program
- Crowdfunding (campaign)
- Peer-to-peer fundraising (others fundraise on your behalf)
- Cause awareness and giving days
Think like a Pro!
- Recommended donation amounts that have the most success include: $10, 15, $20, $50, $100 and $250. The average online donation amount from 2019 was $148. The average monthly recurring amount from 2019 was $35.
- Have a plan for:
- Expired credit cards (use a third-party platform or set a reminder to check recurring payments at the beginning of each month).
- Donor retention (send personalized thank you notes and emails, annual gifts, ways to stay involved and growth/exciting news).
- Other ways donors want to give or get involved with your organization.
- Utilize Facebook Fundraiser and encourage active followers, supporters and stakeholders to create fundraisers on your behalf for birthdays, anniversaries, awareness days, special events and year-end giving.
When looking ahead to your 2021 marketing strategy, keep these top tips in mind and reach out to TRIO’s nonprofit pro, MIA. She can help you make meaningful impact with your online fundraising efforts!